Ricky Ponting retires from International Twenty20

Aussie captain Ricky Ponting today announced his retirement from International T20.

Ponting, who will prolong to remain the captain of the Test and ODI sides, stepped away from the International T20 format in an effort to continue his playing career.

Ricky PontingAddressing the media, Shipper Ponting said: "After much thought and careful consideration I have advised Cricket Australia of my decision to retire from international T20 cricket."

"I have also spoken to Andrew Hilditch, Tim Nielsen and Michael Clarke and I feel this decision provides me the opportunity to continue my Australian Test and one-day career, an opportunity I am really determined about."

"As I said after the 5th Test in London, I am hoping to continue playing Test cricket for as long as possible and retiring from the T20 format gives me the best chance of doing this."

"I will now have set periods of rest throughout the Australian summer and while touring which I feel will be very favorable," Ponting said.

"While I will no longer be available for Australian T20 cricket, I look forward to playing with Tasmania's KFC Big Bash team where possible and to satisfying my contract with the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League," he added.

CA Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said: "We are very supportive of the decision Ricky has made and understanding of the reasons behind it."

"Needless to say he will be a big loss to the T20 side but it does present opportunities for the other players and leaders within Australian cricket to gain further experience."

"While we have not seen much of Ricky in Australia's T20 matches in recent times, his innings in the first ever Twenty20 International against New Zealand at Auckland was probably the best innings I have ever seen in the T20 form of the game."

A formal decision concerning Ponting's replacement as captain of the T20 side will be made later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment