Michael Clarke retires from international Twenty20 Cricket

Michael Clarke announced his retirement from T20 international in the fallout from Australia's Ashes humiliation against England on Friday.

Clarke, standing in for injured captain Ricky Ponting, presided over an Australian team thrashed by an innings and 83 runs in the fifth Sydney Test and made the announcement during his post-match press conference.

Cameron White was later named skipper of Australia's side for their two T20 games against England next week, with wicketkeeper Tim Paine his vice-captain.

It was a personal series failure by one of Australia's senior Test batsmen, scoring just 193 runs at 21.44 in nine innings against the dominant English bowling attack.

"I'm retiring from international T20 cricket," Clarke said.

"I guess, looking back on this series, my Test cricket isn't where I want it at the moment.

"This gives me the opportunity to focus wholly and solely on Test cricket and one-day internationals and to use that time to play more domestic or first-class cricket for New South Wales and become a better Test player.

"For me, I've always said Test cricket is the ultimate for me. This gives me that opportunity."

Clarke admitted that even as captain he has struggled in the T20 format of the game, scoring just 419 runs in 23 innings at 22.05.

No comments:

Post a Comment